Last updated: 13 March 2020
1. Policy Statement
School Bytes Learning Pty Ltd ACN 611 977 390 (School Bytes) is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information which it collects and holds.
- the kinds of information that School Bytes may collect about you and how that information is held and collected;
- the purposes for which School Bytes collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information;
- how you can access the personal information School Bytes holds about you and seek to correct such information; and
- the way in which you can complain about a breach of your privacy and how School Bytes will handle that complaint.
Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not;
3. Collection And Use Of Personal Information
3.1 Types of personal information collected by School Bytes
- Parents/guardians/carers of students and students
School Bytes collects information which is necessary for you to communicate and engage more effectively with your, or your child’s school. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, your child’s name, your address, email address and any other information which is necessary for School Bytes to assist the school in its operations.
- Suppliers/service providers
School Bytes collects information from you which is necessary to properly manage and operate its business. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, address, telephone numbers, ABN and professional experience and expertise, and any other information which may be necessary to appropriately conduct its business.
- Job applicants
School Bytes collects information from you which is necessary to assess and engage applicants. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, address, telephone number, professional experience, qualifications, references and past employers, and any other information which is necessary to assess your suitability for employment.
3.2 How we collect personal information
In the case of parents, carers, guardians and students, School Bytes usually collects your personal information from your relevant education provider on enrolment.
In other instances, School Bytes will usually collect your personal information directly from you, however sometimes we may need to collect information about you from third parties, such as past employees, referees and recruitment agencies.
We will only collect information from third parties (such as schools and other education providers) where:
- you have consented to such collection;
- such collection is necessary to enable us to provide our services to either you or the education provider;
- such collection is reasonably necessary to enable us to appropriately manage and conduct our business (such as in assessing applications from job applicants); or
- it is legally permissible for us to do.
School Bytes will only collect information which is necessary to provide you with services or appropriately manage and conduct our business.
3.3 How School Bytes uses your personal information
School Bytes only uses your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected by School Bytes (primary purpose), unless:
- there is another purpose (secondary purpose) and that secondary purpose is directly related to the primary purpose, and you would reasonably expect, or School Bytes has informed you, that your information will be used for that secondary purpose;
- you have given your consent for your personal information to be used for a secondary purpose; or
- School Bytes is required or authorised by law to use your personal information for a secondary purpose (including for research and quality improvements within School Bytes).
For example, School Bytes may use your personal information to:
- provide services to you, or enable you to access School Bytes’ platforms which are licensed to your education provider;
- appropriately manage our business, such as assessing insurance requirements and conducting audits, billing, improving our services, implementing appropriate security measures and training personnel;
- assess your suitability for employment; and
- effectively communicate with third parties, such as third parties engaged by School Bytes to assist in providing our services and conducting our business.
3.4 Complete and accurate details
Where possible and practicable, you will have the option to deal with School Bytes on an anonymous basis or by using a pseudonym. However, if the personal information you provide us is incomplete or inaccurate, or you withhold personal information, we may not be able to provide the services you are seeking, or deal with you effectively.
4. Disclosing Your Personal Information
School Bytes will confine its disclosure of your personal information to the primary purpose for which that information has been collected, or for a related secondary purpose. This includes when disclosure is necessary to provide services to you, assist us in running our organisation, or for security reasons.
We may provide your personal information to:
- entities contracted to provide services to School Bytes, such as companies engaged to assist in its web hosting requirements;
- government departments involved in your, or your child’s, education where School Bytes has a legal or contractual obligation to do so;
- anyone authorised by you to receive your personal information (your consent may be express or implied); and
- anyone School Bytes is required by law to disclose your personal information to.
5 Data Storage, Quality And Security
5.1 Data quality
School Bytes will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information which is collected, used or disclosed is accurate, complete and up to date.
All personal information is stored by School Bytes securely in electronic form within Amazon Web Services (AWS) datacentres located in Sydney, Australia (ap-southeast-2 region).
5.3 Data security
School Bytes strives to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of personal information, and will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. School Bytes reviews and updates (where necessary) its security measures in light of current technologies.
School Bytes enforces site-wide HTTPS/TLS when using our service, combined with encryption of personal information within our database at rest & in-transit to ensure data security. This is coupled with the use of a web application firewall (WAF) to maintain security of personal information.
A ‘cookie’ is a small data file placed on your machine or device which lets School Bytes identify and interact more effectively with your computer. Cookies do not identify individual users, but they do identify your ISP and browser type.
School Bytes uses Google Analytics and Heap Analytics to collect data about the way people use and interact with our platforms. This allows School Bytes to collect information about you, which is used by School Bytes for the purposes of assessing our services so that these can be modified and updated appropriately.
6.1 Links to other sites
School Bytes may provide links to third party websites. These linked sites may not be under our control and School Bytes is not responsible for the content or privacy practises employed by those websites. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we recommend that you carefully read the terms and conditions of use and privacy statement of the relevant website.
7. Unsubscribing From School Bytes Communications
If you have received an email from School Bytes (typically sent from firstname.lastname@example.org) and you wish to unsubscribe from these emails, please contact us on the details listed in clause 8 below.
8. Accessing And Amending Your Personal Information
You have a right to access your personal information which School Bytes holds about you. If you make a request to access your personal information, we will ask you to verify your identity and specify the information you require.
You can also request an amendment to any of your personal information if you consider that it contains inaccurate information.
You can contact School Bytes about any privacy issues as follows:
Chief Executive Officer
Phone: 1300 211 438
Address: Level 4, 18-20 Orion Road LANE COVE WEST NSW 2066, AUSTRALIA
While School Bytes aims to meet all requests to access and amendments to personal information, there may be some instances where School Bytes is unable to do this where it may adversely affect your health and safety or the safety of others.
If you have a complaint about School Bytes’s information handling practices or consider we have breached your privacy, you can lodge a complaint with:
- the School Bytes Chief Executive Officer, on the contact details listed in clause 8 above; or
- the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
School Bytes deals with all complaints in a fair and efficient manner.